September 24, 2011

Advice for aspiring writers

No, I'm not qualified to give advice to any aspiring writers. I'm talking about an article that prolific comic book writer Ron Marz penned giving advice to his 10-year-old daughter. The article is titled "Advice to a 10-Year-Old", but it applies to anyone who is thinking about writing full-time.

I got a chuckle out of his first piece of advice -- "I will tell her that if she wants to be a writer, she has to be a reader" -- because of my last blog post about writers who don't like to read.  :-)

The remaining advice is all good. Not only does he give tips on how to be a writer, but he paints a realistic picture of what the life of a full-time writer is like. Warning: it's not as glamorous as you may think. You will wind up working all the time, and even then, your income isn't assured. I don't want to be a full-time writer right now (because I like my "real job" profession, not because I don't like being a writer), but I'll keep Marz's advice in mind if my goals change in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment