December 17, 2011

Busy with author-y stuff

If there's one lesson that I've learned in the past month, since the publication of George and the Galactic Games, it's that writing is only one part of a "real" author's job. It's still the most important part, but once you've written and published your book, you still need to put it in front of readers. In other words, authors should not rely on "build it and they will come." No one will read your book if no one knows about it.

To address that, I've been busy with non-writing tasks, such as:
  1. Making George and the Galactic Games available in different formats
  2. Creating author pages on Amazon, Goodreads, and Smashwords
  3. Setting up a Twitter account
  4. Visiting other sites that can help increase exposure through book reviews, interviews, or giveaways

It's too early to tell if my efforts will pay off, but I know that I'm better off now than if I never did any of the items listed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment