June 7, 2014

Mid-year writing update

It's been a while since I blogged about my writing progress. I had three writing goals this year:
  1. Publish a sequel to "Drive"
  2. Write a short story for another collaboration
  3. Write my fifth novel

So far, I've accomplished #1 already. "Protect", the sequel to "Drive" was published on March 10th. Depending on how things go, I may even write the third installment in the series this year!

Last year, I had the good fortune of collaborating with a group of great YA authors to produce the anthology, Through a Tangled Wood. I'm happy to say that most of the same authors -- and a few more -- are back at work on a second anthology! My short story contribution is almost done. I got feedback from the editor last week, and I'm putting the finishing touches on it. Expect an announcement about the new anthology in the August time frame.

As soon as I finished writing "Protect", I started the first draft of my next novel. All I'll say for now is that it's a YA fantasy story, which is slightly different from the YA sci-fi that I've been writing. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the first draft, which is a little slower than I expected. The problem has been that as I write, I discover new things about the world I created and the characters in them, so I've had to go back and revise as I work. (I know that some authors believe you shouldn't do that while you're writing a first draft, but I do it so that I don't forget later on.) In the end, my hope is that the book will be better than what I had first envisioned when I started.

After finishing the first draft, I plan to set it aside for a while before revising it. During that time, I want to write another short story. I'm not sure yet whether it'll be a sequel to "Drive" and "Protect" or whether it'll be something different. I have lots of ideas in my head at the moment. :-)

Hopefully, I'll reach my production goal by the end of the year, which means another anthology and my fifth novel. If I'm lucky, there will also be an extra story thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment