October 4, 2014

Book review: God Made You Special by Eric Metaxas


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
Bob s red and round, and he bounces cause he has no feet. Madame Blueberry lives in a tree. What makes her special? She s as blue as can be. What about those French Peas? They speak with zee accent. Tots will discover that it s okay to be different, because God made you special and he loves you very much. Through fun rhymes and humor, and some help from those lovable Veggies, little ones will realize that God makes everyone special!
 
Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
I didn't realize how hard it would be to choose a book for the "Picture Book" square of my Reading Outside the Box challenge until it was time to do so. Then, as I searched for a picture book, I discovered that none of them interested me, which makes sense since they're written for children a tenth of my age! Eventually, I picked God Made You Special because, even as an adult, I still like Veggie Tales. When my kids were younger, we'd watch Veggie Tales DVDs all the time. Not only were they funny and entertaining, but I appreciated the messages that they conveyed.

God Made You Special is like a short board book version of a Veggie Tales lesson, the message being that we are all special in our own individual ways. I can't get enough of seeing the pictures of Larry the Cucumber (he's my favorite), Bob the Tomato, and the other Veggie Tales characters. I wish the book was longer, but I also realize that it's probably the right length for early readers and readers-to-be. In that case, God Made You Special is as good a picture book as any for parents to share with their little ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment