December 1, 2021

NaNoWriMo 2021 recap


Another NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is behind us. I started this year's NaNoWriMo with the same modest goals as last year: to write 20,000 words in the month of November. The good news is that I accomplished the goal, ending the month just over the target with 20,040 words.

November started out well for me. After the first week, I had already written nearly 7,000 words. And then work kicked my butt. During week 2, there were days when I barely had fifteen minutes to write, and my average daily word count for the rest of the month was less than 400 during the work week. Yet, thanks to the fast start, I hit the midpoint of my 20,000-word goal by November 13. The weekends also helped because I was able to write more on Saturdays and Sundays. However, it still came down to the last day before I crossed the 20,000-word threshold.

My WIP is now at about 40,000 words, and I estimate the first draft to be 50,000 to 60,000 words long. Given that I still want to finish the first draft by the end of the year, that means another mini-NaNoWriMo for me in December to accomplish my goals. Now that I've already written 20,000 words in November, another 10,000 to 20,000 in December looks more doable than it did a month ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment