September 3, 2022

Changing reading tastes

 

If you're a long-time follower of my blog, you know that I've been a fan of YA books for many years (despite growing out of my "young adult" phase in life long ago). YA is the predominant genre I write in because I also love reading YA. When I came up with my favorite series, for example, 7 out of the top ten fell in the YA category.

This year, however, I found my reading tastes changing. I've read more books for adults than for young adults in 2022 so far. The top two categories are thrillers and fantasy/sci-fi, which are two genres that have been among my favorites for a long time, just not more so than YA. I attribute the rise in reading fantasy to my newfound fondness for Brandon Sanderson, as well as the general surge in interest in the genre through shows like "The Wheel of Time" (which I'm starting to read) and "The Rings of Power."

It's too early to say whether my shift in reading preferences signals a declining interest in YA or an increased interest in other genres. I've still read some really enjoyable YA books this year (e.g., The Inheritance Games series comes to mind), so it still holds a special place in my heart. I also don't have any plans to stop writing YA stories. Maybe next year, my reading preferences will revert back to YA. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment