December 31, 2020

What I read in 2020


2020 has certainly been a unique year. Who would've thought at the beginning of the year that we'd spend more time at home than we ever wanted to? If there's one silver lining to the COVID-19 pandemic, it's been that I had more time to read. In 2020, I exceeded my original reading goal of 80 books by reading 99. Yes, I was that close to reading 100 books this year! The 99 books were also 15 more than the 84 I read in 2019.

The average rating for the books I read this year was 3.96 stars per book, broken down as follows:

  • 5 stars - 30 books
  • 4 stars - 35 books 
  • 3 stars - 34 books 

The 3.96 stars average was a slight decrease from 4.01 stars in 2019.

This year, I had two reading goals. In January, I embarked on the NY Times Bestseller Challenge in the hopes of discovering some great new authors. It didn't quite work out that way, as I mentioned here. The average rating of the books I read for the NY Times Bestseller Challenge was only 3.5.

I started my second reading goal in the middle of the year, which was to read as many of the most popular mystery books of the past five years as I could. My average rating for the mysteries was 4.1, which helped boost my overall star rating for the year, but it wasn't quite enough to counteract the lower ratings from the bestsellers.

In my next post, I’ll reveal my top ten favorite books of 2020. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment