December 5, 2020

NaNoWriMo 2020 recap

After taking a year off from the challenge, I participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) again this year. Instead of trying to write 50,000 words in November, I set a more realistic goal of 15,000, which meant an average of 500 words per day. I'm happy to say that I reached my goal... and then some! I finished the month with 20,037 words.

November started off strong for me. After the first ten days, I was on pace for over 20,000 words, but then a mid-month slump set me back. While 15,000 still looked achievable two-thirds of the way through, I didn't know if I could get to 20,000 anymore. Fortunately, with the Thanksgiving holidays and an extra two days off from work, I made a final push during the last Thursday through Sunday to get across the 20,000-word line.

All in all, I'm pleased with how NaNoWriMo went this year. Not only did I surpass my goal of 15,000 words, but more importantly, I've made great progress on my WIP. Thanks to NaNoWriMo, there's a good chance that I can finish the first draft by the end of the year! That is more important to me than any monthly word count goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment