December 17, 2023

Reading challenge recap - books to read before I die

The reading challenge I selected for 2023 was to read a dozen of the "classics" that everyone should read before they die. As I mentioned less than halfway through the year, it turns out the classics are not for me. For the sake of formally closing out the challenge, here are the books I read (listed alphabetically by title):

  • The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath 
  • Catch-22 - Jospeh Heller 
  • The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
  • Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 
  • Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
  • Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
  • Moby Dick - Herman Melville
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel García Márquez
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  • Ulysses - James Joyce
  • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Not one of the books on the list received a 5-star rating from me. Seven of them were 4-star reads, and the remaining five received 3 stars, for an average of 3.58.

As far as reading challenges goes, this one didn't produce any great books that I enjoyed very much, but I still feel a sense of accomplishment in having read some of these "classic" works of literature.


No comments:

Post a Comment