June 14, 2014

Book Review: Frost by Kate Avery Ellison


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
In the icy, monster-plagued world of the Frost, compassion might get a person killed, and Lia Weaver knows this better than anyone. After the monsters kill her parents, she must keep the family farm running or risk losing her siblings to reassignment by the village Elders. With dangers on all sides, she can't afford to let her emotions lead her astray. But when her sister finds a fugitive bleeding to death in the forest, a young man from beyond the Frost named Gabe, Lia does the unthinkable. 

She saves his life. 

Giving shelter to the fugitive could get her in trouble. The Elders have always described the advanced society of people beyond the Frost, the "Farthers," as ruthless and cruel. Lia is startled to find that Gabe is empathetic and intelligent-and handsome. And she might even be falling for him. 

But time is running out. The monsters in the forest are growing bold and restless. The village leader is starting to ask questions. Farther soldiers are searching for Gabe. Is compassion-and love-worth the risk? Finally, when a startling discovery challenges everything she thought was true about her life, Lia realizes exactly what she must do.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
The "Young Adult Fiction" square in my Reading Outside the Box challenge was the easiest for me to fill because that's the genre I read the most. The hard part was deciding which book to highlight among the many YA books that I read.

I chose Frost by Kate Avery Ellison. Frost, the first book of the Frost Chronicles, is also the first book by the author that I read, and now I can't believe it's taken me so long to read her works. It's an amazing book, well-written with well-developed characters who live in a well-thought out world. The story also moves at just the right pace, giving me pertinent information as I need it but keeping the pages turning to find out what happens next. I found myself sympathizing with both Lia and Gabe, and the way their relationship formed seemed natural. I rooted for them all the way.

Since Frost was so great, I went back and read a couple of Kate Avery Ellison's earlier books, Once Upon a Beanstalk (an entertaining mashup of fairy tales) and The Curse Girl (a modern take on Beauty and the Beast). They were both great! I'm now reading book 3 of the Frost Chronicles, Weavers, and I also bought the first book in her latest series, Of Sea and Stone, for my TBR pile. If you're a fan of YA fiction and you haven't read the Frost Chronicles or anything by Kate Avery Ellison, you need to correct that now!


No comments:

Post a Comment