March 28, 2015

Book Review: Eerie by Blake and Jordan Crouch


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
TRAPPED INSIDE A HOUSE

On a crisp autumn evening in 1980, seven-year-old Grant Moreton and his five-year-old sister Paige were nearly killed in a mysterious accident in the Cascade Mountains that left them orphans.

WITH A FRIGHTENING POWER

It's been thirty years since that night. Grant is now a detective with the Seattle Police Department and long estranged from his sister. But his investigation into the bloody past of a high-class prostitute has led right to Paige's door, and what awaits inside is beyond his wildest imagining.

OVER ANYONE WHO ENTERS

His only hope of survival and saving his sister will be to confront the terror that inhabits its walls, but he is completely unprepared to face the truth of what haunts his sister's brownstone.


Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
WARNING: Eerie is not the typical kind of book that I read and review here. It's in the thriller/horror genre, R-rated, and not suitable for young readers who are fans of the YA fiction that I normally talk about. The reason why I'm posting this review is because I happen to also like thriller/horror books, and Eerie is an indie-published book I really like.

With that warning out of the way, let's talk about Eerie. This is not the first book by Blake Crouch I've read, but surprisingly, it might be the mildest since my previous exposures to his work have all been graphically violent. I find his stories to be hit or miss; I either think they're really good or very mediocre at best. Eerie falls in the former category.

The story revolves around Grant, a Seattle police detective, and his sister, Paige. The siblings were orphaned at a young age and have lived difficult lives since their parents' deaths. Their estranged relationship also means that their paths rarely cross in adulthood. However, one day, Grant discovers Paige's new address and pays her a visit. Stepping foot inside Paige's home was a big mistake because something in the house doesn't want either brother or sister to leave.

The first eighty percent of the book reads like a horror story that left me hanging on the edge of my seat. I didn't want to stop reading because I hoped to learn more about the entity haunting Paige's house. The suspense was well drawn out, and there's never a dull moment. Once we start getting an idea of what might be making the siblings' lives so miserable, the story takes a downturn, but the end result isn't as disappointing as some other horror stories I've read. The book was still worth my time, and I recommend it to anyone who has the stomach for an R-rated horror/thriller novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment