October 27, 2018

Preparing for NaNoWriMo 2018


It's almost November, which means NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is just around the corner. I've participated in NaNoWriMo the past four years, reaching the 50,000 word count goal my first three years before falling short last year.

This year, I plan to participate again but with a twist. Whereas I had always started working on a new novel for NaNoWriMo, I'm in the midst of a novel now and want to use the event to finish the first draft if I can. It's the thriller that I eluded to back in June, but between June and October, I only wrote 15,000 words. My hope is that NaNoWriMo will be what I need to kick myself in gear.

Last year, I fretted about not being able to write 50,000 words in November, but I'm not worried anymore this year. My day job has gotten even busier this year, and there's less likelihood of my winning NaNoWriMo next month, but last year taught me that I don't need to hit 50,000 words. Just participating is good enough. There's something about NaNoWriMo that gives my writing productivity a boost, and that's what I need right now.

Is anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment