January 9, 2021

Goodreads Choice Awards Reading Challenge


Every year, I try to come up with a reading challenge that I hope I will enjoy and that will expose me to new books that I wouldn't ordinarily read. Last year, my goal was to read a book a month from the top of the NY Times Bestseller list. While that didn't go as well as I had planned, I learned my lessons, and as a result, this year, I'm going with the Goodreads Choice Awards reading challenge.

Every year, Goodreads asks its members to vote on their favorite books in various categories, culminating in the Goodreads Choice awards winners. My goal this year is to read at least twenty books that made the finalists cut for the 2020 awards. Looking at some of the finalists, I already feel better about this challenge than last year's because there are several books that sound interesting. 

Unlike last year, I won't constrain myself to reading books only by authors I haven't read before, but I'll try to read as many books from new authors as I can. I'm also not limiting myself to the winners in each category. One reason is that there are only twenty categories, so I would only be reading the winners to fulfill my goal of twenty books. The other reason is that I already read three of the winners last year, and honestly, they were not my favorite books in their respective categories. I'm sure that I will be reading some of the winners this year, but for the sake of a better reading experience, I want to expand my pool of books to all finalists.

As with previous reading challenges, I will provide an update on this one at the end of the year. Happy reading in 2021!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment