July 19, 2011

Bye Bye, Borders

Borders Group, the nation's second-largest bookstore chain, announced that it will liquidate and close its remaining 399 stores. Borders filed for bankruptcy earlier this year and failed to find a buyer to keep it alive. While not completely surprising, this is still sad news for me. I loved going to Borders and missed it when my local Borders closed last year. On a semi-related note, I went to a shopping mall last weekend to watch the latest Harry Potter movie. I got there an hour before the movie started and wanted to browse in the meantime. My first instinct was to hit the mall's bookstores, but when I looked at the directory, I found that the mall had no bookstores! I know that ebooks are gaining steam, but I miss those brick-and-mortar book retailers.

1 comment: