April 28, 2012

What I did on spring break

A couple of weeks ago, the family and I went on a spring break trip to the east coast. It was fun and educational, as it was the first time that my kids had been to our nation's capital. It was also the first time that I've been to Washington, D.C. in many years, and the history I learned on the trip was more interesting than I remember it being when I was younger. As I get older, I appreciate history more than when I was forced to learn it in high school.

The trip was also very productive for my writing. Every night, after the rest of the family went to sleep and I found myself still awake with nothing to do and not wanting to wake anyone else in our hotel room, I would write. Sometimes I would wake up before anyone else and write some more. The best part was that my brain was churning the entire week and I didn't have to pause because of writer's block at any time. I wrote more during that week than in any other week that I can remember. As a result, I'm almost done with the first draft of my novel, a month ahead of schedule!

Maybe I need to take more vacations.

No comments:

Post a Comment