September 23, 2012

Book review: Shakespeare Undead by Lori Handeland


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
Something wicked this way comes . . . and it keeps coming and coming and coming. . . .

William Shakespeare was one of history’s greatest writers, a master of words with a body of work that is truly impressive . . . some may say a little too impressive for a single man to accomplish in one lifetime. Perhaps, as many have speculated, he had assistance. Or perhaps the explanation is more . . . unusual.

Who was William Shakespeare?

Who was the Dark Lady of the Sonnets?

Why are the undead stalking the alleyways of London?

And can they be stopped?

Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark.

So brace yourself for a wild ride through twisted streets and shadowed graveyards of Elizabethan London, where you’ll discover how the Bard got his Bite. 

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review:
Zombies, vampires, and the Bard. What more can a reader ask for?

I stumbled upon Shakespeare Undead at my local public library, and I'm glad I did. I picked it up because of the zombie factor, but it turned out that the story is so much more. While zombies played an important part in the plot, the novel is really about Shakespeare's relationship with the Dark Lady, Kate.

The book was fast-moving and very entertaining. I found that what I liked most about the novel didn't have to do with the zombies but were the sprinkles here and there that poked fun at William Shakespeare and modern pop culture. It made me wonder how many inside jokes I missed because I don't know more about the Bard. Shakespeare scholars may not like this book or may point out historical inaccuracies, but for someone whose exposure to the playwright is limited to what I had to read in school, I found Shakespeare Undead to be a great read.


No comments:

Post a Comment