September 27, 2012

The Casual Vacancy

J.K. Rowling's first book for adult readers, The Casual Vacancy, officially releases today. I am a big fan of the Harry Potter series. I've read all the books, seen all the movies, and even read The Tales of Beedle the Bard. At first, I was excited to hear that she had another book in the works, but now, I'm not planning to rush out to read The Casual Vacancy. I'm sure Ms. Rowling wrote another fine work of fiction. I don't question the quality of her work, and I don't think Harry Potter was a one-hit wonder... or is it seven-hit wonder.

It's just that I don't think The Casual Vacancy is for me. When I finally read the book description earlier this week, nothing about it appealed to me. If it wasn't for the fact that J.K. Rowling wrote the book, I wouldn't even give it another glance.But I wish Ms. Rowling the best of luck, although she doesn't need it. The book was #2 on the Amazon top-seller list even before it was published, and it's #1 this morning. Just her name alone should guarantee that the book is a commercial success. Now, I just wish she'd get on with writing Harry Potter: The Grownup Years.



No comments:

Post a Comment