December 31, 2013

What I read in 2013

2013 was a record year for me in terms of number of books read. I wound up reading 102 books since January 1st! I'm sure that this is the first time in my life that I've read over 100 books in a year.

The ratings for the books I read broke down as follows:
  • 5 stars - 26 books
  • 4 stars - 44 books
  • 3 stars - 30 books
  • 2 stars - 2 books
This comes out to an average rating of 3.92 stars per book read in 2013.

When I counted the number of indie books I read this year, I was astounded to find that HALF of the 102 books were indie published! I didn't set out to read so many indie books. Some of them were books written by other indie authors I got to know, and some I picked up not knowing they were indie. It just shows how far the indie publishing business has progressed in the last couple of years.

In case you're interested, the ratings for the indie books were:
  • 5 stars - 9 books
  • 4 stars - 24 books
  • 3 stars - 18 books
The average rating of 3.82 was slightly lower than the overall average, but there were definitely some great books among the indies that I read.

For the Authors A to Z challenge, the average score was an even lower 3.73, broken out as follows:
  • 5 stars - 5 books
  • 4 stars - 10 books
  • 3 stars - 10 books
  • 2 stars - 1 book

That shouldn't be a surprise since I read some books as part of the challenge that I normally wouldn't read.

In my next post, I'll list my top ten favorite books of 2013. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment