February 1, 2014

Book review: Beautiful Creatures (The Manga) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
In crisp black and white manga pictures, Ethan Wate narrates his dreams, haunted an unreachable raven-haired beauty. When she moves into the small Southern town Blackwood mansion of her protective Uncle Macon, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her. As her 16th birthday nears, Lena must choose - or will the family curse choose for her?

There were no surprises in Gatlin County .. the middle of nowhere.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.


Rating: 3 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
Beautiful Creatures is a book that I've heard lots of good things about, but from reading the description, I didn't know if it was really for me. The fact that it's over 500 pages long also made me hesitate putting in the effort to read it, so when I found a graphic novel version of the book, it sounded like a great way to try out the story without too much investment and also check off a box for my Reading Outside the Box challenge.

It's a good thing I did. If the graphic novel was a faithful adaptation of the book, I would've suffered through the 500+ pages. The story wasn't for me. The relationship between Ethan and Lena didn't make much sense to me, and too much time was spent on their relationship rather than on the world of magic that Lena came from, which was the interesting part of the book.

The graphic novel itself was OK. I got confused a few times during scene transitions, like when they first received their vision of the past. It took me a while to understand what was happening. However, I think I would've liked reading the book even less. Overall, a mediocre rating for Beautiful Creatures (The Manga).


No comments:

Post a Comment