December 13, 2014

The Benders and an interview with Katie French

I read the first book of Katie French's The Breeders series in early 2013 and it became one of my favorites of the year. Then I read book 2 in January of 2014 and loved it as well. I'm excited to announce that the third book in the series, The Benders, is now available on Amazon! Katie has also graciously agreed to participate in an interview that you can find below.


The third book in the award-winning, best-selling dystopian series.

They’ve escaped the Breeders.

They’ve broken out of the Citadel.

Now, after all they’ve been through, Riley, Clay, and Ethan know one thing for sure: nothing tastes sweeter than freedom. And no one can rest easy with Auntie Bell in bondage. The group journeys home to rescue her and liberate Clay’s town from the cruel Warden. But when an ally betrays them, they must face the very enemy they’ve been trying to avoid.

Captured and separated, Riley is sold to a slave-owner who uses human beings for sport, while Clay and Ethan become the latest in a series of lab rats to be poked and prodded. As a slave, Riley conceals her identity to survive among the other benders, but it’s only a matter of time before a dangerous job takes her life. Clay and Ethan find themselves a war zone between a madwoman and marauders. And the odds don’t look good. 

You can buy a copy of The Benders on Amazon.

Interview with Katie French:

1) How long have you been writing and how did you get started?
I’ve been writing for basically forever, but I never took it seriously until about seven years ago. Strangely it was when my daughter was born. I had less time than ever, but I think I somehow realized that if I was going to start writing, I had no better time than now. I’ve been writing almost every day since. That is what made the difference, getting serious.

2) Who were your favorite authors when you were growing up?
I LOVED books so much growing up so there’s a wealth to choose from. I loved the Redwall Series, Mercedes Lackey, Louis Lowry, Roald Dahl, Lloyd Alexander. I could go on and on. Anything with fantasy. Anything that could take me somewhere else.

3) In twenty words or less, what is The Benders about?
Well, really putting me through my paces, huh? ;0)
Riley, Clay, and Ethan journey home to rescue Auntie and liberate Clay’s town from the cruel Warden. An enemy awaits them there.

4) How did you come up with the idea for The Breeders series?
I love this story because it shows that ideas can come out of nowhere. I was driving in my car and Rihanna’s song came on. She sang, “Want you to make me feel like I’m the only girl in the world,” and I got to think, “Being the only girl in the world doesn’t sound as sexy as Rihanna makes it out to be.”

5) How was writing book #3 different from writing book #1?
I’m better at it, I guess. I write outlines ahead of time now. That saves me a ton of time. I also know the world my characters live in much better.

6) What is your writing process like? Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m a pantser, turned plotter. I love the idea of a story just flowing from your brain unencumbered, but the more I read about the writing process, the more I am convinced that satisfying stories have to be planned at least on some level. How can one account for multiple character arcs and a story arc if you don’t have some sort of road map? But I’m happy to take a detour if my brain suddenly finds an interesting side street.

7) What do you have planned next?
I’ve already started Breeders Book 4 which will be half continuation of the story and half backstory on Riley’s mother. I hope I can pull it off.

8) Tell us something that most of your readers don't know about you.
I’m a huge animal lover and a sucker for rescue critters. I have two rescued dogs and a one-eyed rescue cat that keep me eyeball-deep in animal hair most days of the week.

Thank you, Katie!

You can also find her on:

No comments:

Post a Comment