February 28, 2015

Book Review: Dust by Hugh Howey


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description (from Goodreads):
In a time when secrets and lies were the foundations of life, someone has discovered the truth. And they are going to tell.

Jules knows what her predecessors created. She knows they are the reason life has to be lived in this way.

And she won't stand for it.

But Jules no longer has supporters. And there is far more to fear than the toxic world beyond her walls.

A poison is growing from within Silo 18.

One that cannot be stopped.

Unless Silo 1 step in
.


Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
I read the first Wool story in August of 2012. Since then, I've worked my way through the rest of the series one at a time, with gaps of weeks or months between each installment. Now, two and a half years after reading Wool, I finally read the series conclusion, Dust.

What I liked most about Dust was the writing. Hugh Howey is a master at world building and immersing readers in the world of the silos. Juliette, the protagonist of the last few books in the series, grows with every story. By Dust, I felt like I knew her well. Though flawed, I could understand why she made the decisions that she did.

Ever since (SPOILER ALERT) Juliette stumbled upon Silo 17, I've been wanting to learn about the other silos, especially the workings of Silo 1. I hoped that Dust would finally answer my questions. Some questions were answered, but many still remained, especially surrounding Silo 1.

Dust also felt a little disjointed to me, as if I were reading a collection of stories (much like reading the Wool omnibus!) instead of a unified novel. There were hints in earlier parts of the book that didn't pay off later on, and the ending came more abruptly than I would've liked it to.

Overall, this was a pretty good book, though definitely not the best in the series. Nevertheless, I expect that Wool fans will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment