February 14, 2015

What I plan to copy from Joe Konrath

Joe Konrath is sort of a legend in indie publishing circles. He's sold a boatload of books since he severed his traditional publishing ties and decided to publish his books himself. Not only is he successful, but he's also an evangelist for the indie publishing industry. His posts on last year's Amazon vs. Hatchette controversy, for example, were often referenced by others covering the story. His earlier posts are part of what inspired me to become an indie writer.

Of all the things that Konrath has accomplished, there is one that I plan to follow in the footsteps of. Note that I said "plan", not "hope" or "want." I hope to be as successful as him one day, and I want to make millions of dollars selling books like he does. However, that level of success is beyond my control. Even Konrath will tell you that luck played as much of a role in his success as skill did.

What I plan to copy from him is summarized in this screen shot from his site:


See those books? That's not even all of the ones he's written because that widget scrolls to reveal more! That's a lot of books!

How many books have I published? Well, you can see them all on the side bar on the right-hand side of this page. I've got a lot of catching up to do. Konrath has been doing this for a lot longer than I have, but his catalog is still impressive. It just reminds me that I need to keep on writing in order to stay in this business and to increase the chances that luck will eventually come my way. Check back in ten years or so to see how far I've gotten in my plan to publish as many books as Konrath has.

No comments:

Post a Comment