June 20, 2015

Book review: Love Songs by Jamie Campbell


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
Sixteen year old Kaley Thorne is invisible. Or she may as well be anyway. All her emotions, thoughts, and dramas go into her secret songbook. Music is her passion, her escape, and her hidden talent. Her songbook is her diary, singing everything she is too shy to speak.

When the most popular guy in school actually sees her and invites her on a date, the experiences she has to write about skyrocket. First love, first kiss, and first heartbreak, everything is funnelled into her songs.

For this songwriter, life is nothing but fodder for her music. As she rides the rollercoaster of her teens, the shy and invisible girl must find her inner diva. Only when she can find her voice, can she finally speak.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review: 
In January, I reviewed Fashion Fraud by author Jamie Campbell. I found that story so entertaining that it made me want to read her more recent novel, Love Songs.

I wasn't disappointed. Although the genre isn't what I usually read, the story sucked me in. I believe that it was due in large part to how much I found myself in the characters of both Kaley, the protagonist, and Harvey, one of her best friends. Their trials reminded me a lot of what I went through when I was their age.

The story itself is fast-paced and kept me glued to my Kindle. I could see some of the events that unfolded in Kaley's life coming while others were surprises, but either way, they were all fun to read about. The idea of putting her thoughts into her songs was also a nice touch because we get to read many of her lyrics.

As an additional bonus, Jamie also made videos of "Kaley" and her songs! You can watch them here. I encourage you to check out both the book and the songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment