March 9, 2013

Book review: Angelfall by Susan Ee


Buy from Amazon
Buy from B&N

Description:
It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with Raffe, an injured enemy angel. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco, where Penryn will risk everything to rescue her sister and Raffe will put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

Review:
I heard that angels are the new vampires in YA fiction. If Angelfall is any indication, I welcome the change. I'm not a big fan of any paranormal/supernatural race, but I really enjoyed this book because it was so well written. Told from the first person point of view of the main character, Penryn, I could believe that I was hearing the story directly from her mouth. The last time a first person narration worked so well for me was Blood Red Road (and of course, The Hunger Games did it better than any book I've read).

The plot was exciting if somewhat lacking in explanation (I would've liked more background on the angels' attacks, for example). The interactions between Penryn and Raffe were also enjoyable to read. The author didn't make it too mushy or unbelievable, creating characters that I rooted for throughout the book. As a Bay Area resident, I also got a kick out of reading about the locations described in the novel. It's always fun when you read a book that takes place in your hometown.

The main criticism I have about Angelfall is how it ended. Even in a series, I personally want each book to have its own closure, and I didn't get enough of that with this book. I heard that the next book in the series comes out this fall. I'll definitely add it to my TBR list.

I read this book as part of the Authors A to Z reading challenge. Next up: Dark Life by Kat Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment